Social Icons

Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

Chopping a Haunched Mortise

This is not Paul Simons Door

Well Im busy as hell and goin crazy like a bag of hammers...chopping out the mortises these last few days I dont have time for a full blog so I thought Id post a video with a few minutes of real time working. The quality is Blair Witch shaky and the audio track is my old record player in the corner...I was listening to Graceland-Paul Simons wonderful album from way back when? How old am I now? This is one of the best parts of a hand tool shop, being able to work and listen to records. Bet you cant say that over the deafening drone of a table saw!
In this clip Im chopping the haunched portion of the mortise using a massive Hirsch Mortise Chisel,(by the size of these things I can only assume theyre manufactured in the magical land of Giants where everyone has hands like silver back gorillas.) Then I establish the depth of the haunched portion with my Veritas Large Router plane. I clean out the waste with a swan neck chisel from Henry Taylor in England and some paring with a large Japanese bench chisel. I think that covers it...sorry for the rushed post but Ive gotta keep going on this.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment